Yarn made from synthetic fibres has many benefits including resilience, stretch & softness. Yet there are issues to consider around their environmental impact and the health implications of chemicals used in production. Recycled yarns are now more readily available – what do they offer to the world of ethical yarn?
I’ll be exploring issues of synthetic fibres & recycled yarn in areas such as the following:
- How is acrylic yarn made?
- Why is acrylic so popular as a yarn?
- The rise of recycled yarns
- The environmental impacts of nylon and synthetic yarns
- Alternatives to nylon for sock yarn
In the meantime, here are some resources you might find interesting.
Microfibres from synthetic yarns are making their way into our rivers, lakes & oceans – read more about How Your Clothes are Poisoning our Ocean and Food Supply